No. 19 UNC beats VaTech for 11th straight winMar 2, 2014 - 1:57 AM Blacksburg, VA (SportsNetwork.com) - James Michael McAdoo had 15 points on 6- of-9 shooting in the 19th-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels' 60-56 victory over the Virginia Tech Hokies on Saturday.
Leslie McDonald added 14 points for the Tar Heels (22-7, 12-4 ACC), who have won 11 in a row for the first time since the 2008-09 season. J.P. Tokoto tallied 12 points, seven rebounds and two steals.
"To have a great year, you've got to win a lot of games ugly," UNC head coach Roy Williams said. "That's the way I look at it."
Jarell Eddie ended with 18 points and seven boards for the Hokies (9-19, 2-14), who have lost four straight. Devin Wilson donated 15 points and seven assists.
Holding a 42-40 lead with 8:53 to play, the Tar Heels used a 7-0 spurt to create some breathing room. McAdoo capped the flurry with a slam to make it a nine-point contest.
Virginia Tech stayed within striking distance and cut the gap to 58-54 on a 3- pointer by Eddie with 40 seconds left. McDonald missed two free throws at the other end.
Eddie missed a 3-pointer with 19 seconds left, and McAdoo split a pair of free throws to make it 59-54. A layup by Eddie made it a three-point game, but McDonald made the second of two free throws with 4.8 seconds remaining to seal the win for North Carolina.
"For them to execute the game plan and keep fighting and competing, I'm just proud of the guys," Virginia Tech head coach James Johnson said of his squad.
The Tar Heels led for a majority of the first half and took a 28-21 edge into the locker room.
North Carolina extended its margin to 34-25 on McDonald's 3-pointer with 16:41 left in the second half.
After the Hokies went on an 11-2 run to tie the game, the Tar Heels scored six straight points. Virginia Tech got within 42-40 on a pair of C.J. Barksdale free throws and Eddie's layup.
North Carolina leads the all-time series by a 64-13 margin ... Virginia Tech fell to 0-6 against ranked teams this season.
- NORTH CAROLINA: 60
VIRGINIA TECH: 56
Mar 1 4:29 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 28
VIRGINIA TECH: 21
Mar 1 3:13 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 0
VIRGINIA TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 1 2:33 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31