Kane, No. 9 Iowa State knock off No. 7 BaylorJan 8, 2014 - 7:18 AM Ames, IA (SportsNetwork.com) - Marshall transfer DeAndre Kane made a statement to the rest of the Big-12 on Tuesday, stuffing the stat sheet and carrying No. 9 Iowa State to an 87-72 rout of seventh-ranked Baylor from Hilton Coliseum.
Kane did it all for the unbeaten Cyclones (14-0, 2-0 Big-12), tallying 30 points, nine assists, eight rebounds and five steals. Iowa State, which was already off to its best start in program history, improved to 2-0 in Big-12 play for just the sixth time.
"The guys went out there and executed the game plan perfectly. Early on, the shots weren't falling. We couldn't get the spacing in that zone," said Cyclones coach Fred Hoiberg. You can try simulate it in practice, but you just can't duplicate that length. Once DeAndre loosened it up for us the shots started falling."
The 14-game winning streak is the longest in ISU history.
Melvin Ejim donated 18 points and Monte Morris had 13 off the bench in the victory.
Gary Franklin and Brady Heslip both made four triples for 15 points, and Isaiah Austin had 10 points with 12 rebounds as Baylor (12-2, 0-1) fell to 0-6 all-time against AP Top 10 opponents.
"They string together a couple 3's in transition and things go south pretty quickly," said Baylor coach Scott Drew.
Baylor had it going from the arc early on, netting three treys in the first 2:15. The Bears controlled the early portion of the contest but Kane single-handedly kept the hosts involved, scoring 15 of the Cyclones' first 19 points on 6-of-6 shooting. ISU led 19-18 at 7:26.
Ejim and Morris both potted a pair of 3s in the final five minutes of the first period, but Baylor scored the final five points before halftime to trim ISU's lead to 40-38 at the break.
Baylor went ahead on paint buckets by Cory Jefferson and Austin but it was all Cyclones from there. Naz Long's 3-pointer jump-started an 11-3 surge, and they never looked back.
Long hit another bomb for a 68-54 ISU edge at 9:29. Taurean Prince then scored five straight to make it single digits, however Morris responded with a runner to restore the double-digit lead.
Out of a timeout, the Cyclones scored another six points to put the game away.
Referee Gerry Pollard pulled a hamstring early in the second half, leaving David Hall and Mark Whitehead to finish the game as a 2-man crew ... This was the first meeting between the two schools with both ranked in the top 10 ... Kane is the first player since 1996-97 to register at least 30 points, five rebounds, five assists, and five steals against a Top-10 team ... Ejim has netted double digits in every game this season ... ISU now holds a 16-9 edge in the all-time series. The Cyclones improved to 12-0 in Ames against Baylor.
- BAYLOR: 72
IOWA STATE: 87
Jan 7 9:02 PM
- BAYLOR: 38
IOWA STATE: 40
Jan 7 7:53 PM
- BAYLOR: 0
IOWA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 7 7:12 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Iowa State's Niang honed his craft guarding Nerlens Noel Mar 18