Ridley helps Texas edge BaylorFeb 27, 2014 - 7:13 AM Austin, TX (SportsNetwork.com) - Cameron Ridley scored 20 points, pulled down 10 rebounds and had a key block late in the game to help No. 24 Texas hold on for a 74-69 win over Baylor.
Javan Felix scored 21 points, Jonathan Holmes had 14 and eight rebounds and Isaiah Taylor added 13 points, six rebounds and seven assists for the Longhorns (21-7, 10-5 Big 12), who had dropped two straight entering the contest.
Kenny Cherry scored a game-high 27 points and Cory Jefferson had 14 points and 12 boards for the Bears (18-10, 6-9), who had a four-game losing streak snapped.
"They are a good physical team. We recruited a lot of them so we know what they are good players. Coach Barnes does a good job with them. At the end of the day, if we played second half like we played the first half, things might have been better for us," Baylor coach Scott Drew said.
Felix gave Texas a 59-51 lead after knocking down a 3-pointer at the 10:27 mark, but Baylor countered with a 9-4 swing to pull within 63-60 with 7:05 to go.
The Longhorns scored six unanswered to stretch their lead to nine, 69-60, just inside five minutes but the Bears used a 9-1 run of their own to make it 70-69 with 1:46 remaining.
Taylor's layup with 47 ticks showing made it 72-69 and Ridley swatted Cherry's shot in the line 13 seconds later prior to a pair of Taylor free throws that essentially sealed the game.
"Pretty tough. Pretty tough. I thought he played really well. Actually, when he wasn't in the game we struggled. We've got to get better production from the bench there, but Cam really set a tone for us and our guards did a nice job throwing the ball in there.
Isaiah Austin, Cherry and Royce O'Neale both missed 3-pointers in the closing seconds as Texas held on for the victory.
The Longhorns led 42-27 at the break.
Wednesday marked the 242nd all-time meeting between the two schools. Texas holds a 160-82 lead in the series ... The Longhorns were 8-for-16 from the 3- point line ... The Bears fell to 8-81 all-time in road games against the Top-25 ... Baylor hasn't won five straight in the Big 12 since the 1998 season.
- BAYLOR: 69
Feb 26 11:04 PM
- BAYLOR: 27
Feb 26 9:56 PM
- BAYLOR: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 26 9:06 PM
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4
- Texas says no evidence of academic misconduct Jan 13
- Longhorns: Swingman Jordan Barnett asks to transfer Jan 12