Iowa State handles Texas TechJan 4, 2014 - 11:55 PM Lubbock, TX (SportsNetwork.com) - Georges Niang had 17 points and seven rebounds to help lead No. 13 Iowa State to a 73-62 win over Texas Tech in the Big 12 opener for both teams at United Spirit Arena.
Melvin Ejim tallied 16 points, while DeAndre Kane scored 15 with six assists for the Cyclones (13-0, 1-0 Big 12), who tied a program best with its 13th straight win.
Jaye Crockett registered a double-double with 20 points and 11 rebounds for the Red Raiders (8-6, 0-1), who have dropped 32 in a row to Top 25 foes. Dusty Hannahs netted 16 points off the bench
Iowa State went on an early 6-0 run to grab an 11-6 advantage at the 15:30 mark of the first half. The Cyclones led by seven with just over five minutes to go in the period, then ended the half on a 13-5 run.
The Cyclones' huge advantage at the charity stripe helped them take a 44-29 lead into the break. Iowa State was 12-for-13 at the line, whereas Texas Tech was just 1-for-3.
Crockett had 10 points in the first eight minutes of the second half, and his 3-pointer from the top of the key tied the game at 50-50 with 12:33 remaining.
"I will say one of the hardest things to do in sports is to stop a momentum run and we found a way to do it and reverse it and finish out the game," said Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg.
Texas Tech then missed seven straight shots before Hannahs ended the drought with a layup, but the Cyclones increased their lead to 65-54 with 5:31 left.
"We feel like we can play with anybody, but just little errors is the fine line between winning and you can't make the mistakes," said Hannahs.
The Red Raiders pulled within 67-60 with 2:31 to play, but the Cyclones went 6-for-6 from the line in the final two minutes to secure the win.
The Cyclones previously won 13 in a row from Dec. 3, 1999 to Jan. 19, 2000 ... Iowa State improved to 4-7 in Lubbock, winning for just the second time in their last seven contests there ... The Cyclones own a 13-11 edge in the all- time series.
- IOWA STATE: 73
TEXAS TECH: 62
Jan 4 3:43 PM
- IOWA STATE: 44
TEXAS TECH: 29
Jan 4 2:31 PM
- IOWA STATE: 0
TEXAS TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 4 1:47 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Chris Beard bolted UNLV to come 'home' to Texas Tech Apr 16
- Coach Chris Beard spurns UNLV for Texas Tech Apr 15
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24