McDermott helps Creighton beat DePaulFeb 8, 2014 - 7:56 AM Omaha, NE (SportsNetwork.com) - Doug McDermott poured in a game-high 32 points, including 11 in a late Creighton run that boosted the 12th-ranked Bluejays to a 78-66 triumph over DePaul on Friday at CenturyLink Center Omaha.
Durrell McDonald's jumper with 7:35 left pulled DePaul within one at 59-58, but McDermott took over from there, scoring all but three of his team's points during a 14-2 flurry that gave Creighton a 73-60 lead with 2:40 to play, essentially sealing the outcome.
McDermott shot a pedestrian 9-of-21 from the field, but went 13-of-14 from the free-throw line and pulled down nine rebounds to help the Bluejays (19-3, 9-1 Big East) improve to 13-0 at home this season with their fourth straight win overall.
McDermott also recorded his 1,000th career field goal in the contest, becoming the first Division I player to accumulate as many field goals since Calbert Cheaney did it from 1989-93 at Indiana.
Brandon Young registered 16 points to pace the Blue Demons (10-14, 2-9), who have lost six straight games.
"Our guys fought hard, but we cannot be satisfied to fight hard and not come up with the victory," DePaul coach Oliver Purnell said.
With the game tied 13-13 nearly seven minutes in, Will Artino finished a layup to spark a 13-2 Creighton surge that McDermott capped with a dunk for a 26-15 lead with just over 9 1/2 minutes left in the half.
DePaul pulled within 39-31 at the break before using a 6-0 sprint early in the second half to make it a one-possession game.
Creighton countered with seven straight to push its spread to 10, but McDonald donated the final five points of a 10-2 burst that brought the Blue Demons within 50-48 with 11:35 to play.
The teams traded buckets from there until McDermott carried Creighton to victory down the stretch.
"Sometimes you don't shoot it the best and you have to find a way to win," Creighton coach Greg McDermott said, "and that's what we did tonight."
McDermott recorded his 22nd career 30-point game to tie a Creighton record and also passed J.J. Redick for 17th place on the all-time Division I scoring list in the process ... Creighton has won four straight against DePaul, including an 81-62 victory on Jan. 7 ... The Bluejays have won 15 straight at home dating back to last season ... DePaul leads the all-time series, 15-9.
- DEPAUL: 66
Feb 7 11:13 PM
- DEPAUL: 31
Feb 7 10:02 PM
- DEPAUL: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 7 9:13 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Podkowa helps No. 18 DePaul women top No. 15 Texas A&M 80-66 Dec 12
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Leitao back as DePaul coach Mar 29
- Purnell resigns as DePaul head coach Mar 15
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12
- Arcidiacono, Villanova tops Creighton Mar 3
- Creighton seeks upset of No. 4 Villanova Mar 3
- Dunham, Butler top reeling DePaul Feb 28