McDermott leads No. 11 Creighton past MarquetteFeb 20, 2014 - 6:09 AM Milwaukee, WI (SportsNetwork.com) - Doug McDermott and Ethan Wragge carried the No. 11 Creighton Bluejays past the Marquette Golden Eagles 85-70 in a Big East clash on Wednesday.
McDermott poured in 17 of his 25 points in the second half and Wragge connected on six of Creighton's 12 3-pointers en route to a 22-point night.
The Bluejays (22-4, 12-2 Big East) have won three in a row to stay atop the conference standings, while Marquette (15-11, 7-6) saw a chance at a signature win slip away.
Todd Mayo led four Eagles in double figures with 13 points.
Early on, Wragge hit from deep on three consecutive possessions and added another from behind the arc during a 9-2 run that stretched Creighton's lead to 26-16 near the midway point of the first half.
The visitors never gave up the lead from there and were in front 42-35 at the intermission.
Marquette got within five twice in the second half, but each time the Bluejays countered quickly.
McDermott hit from long range to start a 7-0 run after the Eagles had pulled within 46-41, and when it was a 64-59 game, the Player of the Year candidate drained another triple to spark a late 15-3 run that essentially put the game away.
"They keep you stressed in regards to who is going to guard (McDermott)," Marquette head coach Buzz Williams said.
Marquette shot just 2-of-11 from behind the arc ... Deonte Burton (11 points), Jamil Wilson (10) and Derrick Wilson (10) rounded out Marquette's leading scorers ... Creighton shot 62.2 percent from the floor.
- CREIGHTON: 85
Feb 19 10:12 PM
- CREIGHTON: 42
Feb 19 8:58 PM
- CREIGHTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 19 8:03 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11