Texas gets by TCU for seventh straight winFeb 5, 2014 - 5:20 AM Fort Worth, TX (SportsNetwork.com) - Jonathan Holmes had 20 points to go with a career-best 16 rebounds in 15th-ranked Texas' 59-54 triumph over TCU in a Big 12 clash on Tuesday.
Cameron Ridley scored 12 points with nine rebounds for Texas (18-4, 7-2 Big 12), which has won seven straight games following a Jan. 8 setback to Oklahoma State. Isaiah Taylor added 11 points and seven assists.
Amric Fields paced the Horned Frogs (9-12, 0-9) with 16 points and eight rebounds, while Kyan Anderson and Brandon Parrish went for 12 and 10 points, respectively.
Texas won in large part due to a dominant effort on the glass. The Longhorns pulled down as many offensive rebounds (25) as TCU had total boards. They finished with a 56-25 rebounding margin.
"It was 56 to 25 on the glass and that's ridiculous," Fields said of the rebounding disparity. "That's where the game was. Right there."
With around 5 1/2 minutes left in the second half, Texas guard Demarcus Holland fell near midcourt and appeared to injure his shooting wrist, but stayed with the play and ended up knocking down a 3-pointer from the right wing that extended Texas' lead to 47-43.
TCU clawed back to tie it at 52 on a Parrish 3 with 3:14 to play, but Holmes responded with a corner trey on Texas' next touch. Ridley made two free throws following an offensive rebound in the final seconds to seal the outcome.
Earlier, Texas led by as many as nine in the first half but struggled down the stretch, failing to score in the final 3:33 of the opening period. Anderson's layup gave TCU a 22-20 edge at intermission.
"TCU won the first half, but we got the tempo going more where we wanted it in the second half," Texas head coach Rick Barnes said.
With the win, Texas matched its Big 12 victory total from a season ago ... The Longhorns lead the all-time series, 103-62 ... Texas has now won eight in a row and 12 of the last 13 meetings against TCU ... Texas outscored TCU 26-14 in the paint and 26-8 on second chance points.
- TEXAS: 59
TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 54
Feb 4 10:11 PM
- TEXAS: 20
TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 22
Feb 4 8:53 PM
- TEXAS: 0
TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 4 8:06 PM
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Helping Dixon: LSU assistant David Patrick hired by TCU Apr 20
- Jamie Dixon introduced at TCU, big boost for his alma mater Mar 22
- Dixon leaving Pittsburgh to take over at TCU, his alma mater Mar 22
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4