No. 20 Iowa rolls past NorthwesternJan 10, 2014 - 5:01 AM Iowa City, IA (SportsNetwork.com) - Aaron White recorded a double-double of 18 points and 10 rebounds to lead four Iowa players in double figures as the 20th-ranked Hawkeyes took care of Northwestern, 93-67, from Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
Melsahn Basabe also deposited a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds as the Hawkeyes (13-3, 2-1 Big Ten) pushed their home winning streak to 19 games and won their 28th straight at home against unranked opponents.
Roy Devyn Marble finished with 15 points and six assists, while Adam Woodbury posted 10 points in the win.
Iowa assistant coach Kirk Speraw served as the interim head coach in place of Fran McCaffery, who was serving a one-game suspension for his antics in Iowa's 75-71 loss to Wisconsin last Sunday.
JerShon Cobb tallied 18 points with seven rebounds for Northwestern (7-9, 0-3), which dropped its fourth consecutive game following a three-game winning streak.
Drew Crawford was the only other Wildcat in double figures with 12 points in defeat.
The Hawkeyes jumped out to a 10-0 lead after Basabe tipped-in a Woodbury miss 4:30 into the contest.
Northwestern answered with a quick 8-2 run as Cobb scored four points to help the Wildcats cut into the deficit.
That would be the closest the Wildcats would come to securing their first win in conference and pulling the upset.
Mike Gesell and Jarrod Uthoff hit back-to-back treys later in the stanza as part of a 9-1 run which gave the hosts a 27-15 advantage.
Iowa led 41-26 at the break.
Cobb buried a 3 coming out of the locker room, but Iowa proceeded to go on an 11-4 run following four straight points from Woodbury. Cobb then made a deep two-pointer to halt the momentum as Iowa led 52-35 at the 16:49 mark of the second half.
The Hawkeyes stretched its margin to as many as 31 in the second and coasted to the finish.
Eleven different players scored for Iowa ... The Hawkeyes shot 29-for-51 (56.9 percent) from the field and held Northwestern to 23-of-59 (39.0 percent) shooting ... Gesell scored nine points, while Uthoff and Zach McCabe each scored seven points off the bench in the win ... Iowa travels to Columbus, OH for a matchup against Ohio State on Sunday ... Northwestern hosts Illinois on Sunday.
- NORTHWESTERN: 67
Jan 9 11:11 PM
- NORTHWESTERN: 26
Jan 9 10:01 PM
- NORTHWESTERN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 9 9:06 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17
- Guard Mike Gesell blossoms into unheralded star for Iowa Mar 8
- No. 8 Iowa suffers damaging 68-64 loss at Ohio State Feb 28
- Iowa controls Big Ten destiny despite loss to Penn State Feb 22
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics Feb 10
- Iowa surges into Top 25 with strong Big Ten start Jan 5
- Northwestern F Vic Law to miss season with shoulder injury Nov 11