No. 20 Iowa knocks off No. 3 Ohio StateJan 12, 2014 - 11:09 PM Columbus, OH (SportsNetwork.com) - Roy Devyn Marble scored 22 points to lead No. 20 Iowa to an 84-74 win on the road over third-ranked Ohio State in a Big Ten battle on Sunday.
Aaron White added 19 points in the triumph while Melsahn Basabe had 11 points and 10 rebounds. Mike Gesell also netted 11 for the Hawkeyes (14-3, 3-1 Big Ten), who needed a signature win after dropping both previous games against ranked foes.
"I thought there were a couple big things that happened," said Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery, who returned to the bench following a one-game suspension. "Ohio State got up by nine and we answered that run, which was critical to put us in position. I thought our zone was a lot better and it was good we decided to stick with the zone."
Iowa hadn't knocked off a top-five opponent since Dec. 15, 2001.
LaQuinton Ross paced Ohio State (15-2, 2-2) with 22 points and seven rebounds. The Buckeyes started the season 15-0 but have dropped their last two games.
"The biggest challenge is making sure our minds are where they need to be in order for us to get better," said OSU head coach Thad Matta. "We're so far from the end of the finish line and to panic is something I won't do and have never done."
After a back-and-forth first half that featured 12 lead changes, White's layup gave Iowa a three-point edge 1:45 into the second half. The Buckeyes commanded the next portion of the contest as Ross made two 3-pointers and four free throws during a 15-3 Ohio State run. Amedeo Della Valle capped the rally with a 3-pointer before the resilient Hawkeyes came surging back.
Marble halted the run with a pair of free throws. Gesell, White and Jarrod Uthoff then sank 3-pointers on consecutive possessions to knot it at 55 with 10:26 remaining.
Ohio State led 65-62 with six minutes left when Iowa scored eight straight to pull in front by five. Amir Williams followed his own miss with a dunk plus a foul at 3:22 to make it a one-possession game, but Basabe's tip-in and White's runner made it 74-68.
Iowa made 9-of-10 from the foul line in the final 1:08 to hold off the Buckeyes, who had won the previous eight games in the series.
Iowa State now leads the all-time series 74-71 ... The last time the teams met when both were ranked was Jan. 3, 1991 ... Iowa outrebounded OSU 40-31 ... The Buckeyes had 17 turnovers.
- IOWA: 84
OHIO STATE: 74
Jan 12 3:39 PM
- IOWA: 37
OHIO STATE: 35
Jan 12 2:23 PM
- IOWA: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 12 1:38 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17
- Guard Mike Gesell blossoms into unheralded star for Iowa Mar 8
- No. 8 Iowa suffers damaging 68-64 loss at Ohio State Feb 28
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Iowa controls Big Ten destiny despite loss to Penn State Feb 22
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics Feb 10