Olaseni helps Hawkeyes handle WildcatsJan 26, 2014 - 1:13 AM Evanston, IL (SportsNetwork.com) - Gabriel Olaseni had 14 points and 10 rebounds in the 10th-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes' 76-50 victory over the Northwestern Wildcats.
Roy Devyn Marble also tallied 14 points for the Hawkeyes (16-4, 5-2 Big Ten), who bounced back from a 75-67 loss at Michigan on Wednesday. Mike Gesell added 11 points, six assists and two steals.
"I thought we were better than the way we played at Michigan and I wanted to prove it against a team that was 3-1 in its last four games," Iowa coach Fran McCaffery said.
Drew Crawford ended with 20 points for the Wildcats (10-11, 3-5), who had a two-game winning streak snapped. Tre Demps had 11 points.
Northwestern's defense came into Saturday's game allowing just 51.0 points per game over its previous four contests.
"I just thought they wore us down," Northwestern coach Chris Collins said. "It was more about them playing good than us playing poorly. They're a really good team and we're just not at that level right now."
Iowa led by as many as eight in the first half and took a 30-24 margin into the locker room.
JerShon Cobb made a 3-pointer 1:05 into the second half to get Northwestern within three.
The Hawkeyes, however, responded with an 11-3 run to create some distance. Melsahn Basabe and Marble each scored four points during the surge that Gesell capped with a trey for a 41-30 lead.
Holding a 45-38 edge with 12:42 to play, Iowa used an 11-0 spurt to put the game out of reach. Marble tallied seven points during the burst that Olaseni capped with a jumper.
Iowa owns a commanding 113-57 lead in the all-time series with Northwestern, and the Hawkeyes have won the last five meetings ... Iowa outrebounded Northwestern by a 44-20 margin ... The Hawkeyes shot 51.9 percent from the floor and went 15-of-20 from the foul line.
- IOWA: 76
Jan 25 1:57 PM
- IOWA: 30
Jan 25 12:51 PM
- IOWA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 25 12:06 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17
- Guard Mike Gesell blossoms into unheralded star for Iowa Mar 8
- No. 8 Iowa suffers damaging 68-64 loss at Ohio State Feb 28
- Iowa controls Big Ten destiny despite loss to Penn State Feb 22
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics Feb 10
- Iowa surges into Top 25 with strong Big Ten start Jan 5
- Northwestern F Vic Law to miss season with shoulder injury Nov 11