Michigan State hits 17 3-pointers, tops PurdueFeb 21, 2014 - 3:33 AM West Lafayette, IN (SportsNetwork.com) - Gary Harris and Adreian Payne fueled Michigan State's outside shooting prowess as the 13th-ranked Spartans set a single-game school record by making 17 3-pointers in a 94-79 win at Purdue.
Harris drained six 3-pointers and finished with 25 points, two off his career high, and Payne knocked down four shots from beyond the arc en route to 23 points for the Spartans (22-5, 11-3 Big Ten), who rebounded from Sunday's home loss to Nebraska. They have yet to lose back-to-back games this season.
Denzel Valentine had 16 points, five rebounds and four assists for Michigan State, which moved a half-game ahead of Michigan for first place in the conference standings. The rivals clash in Ann Arbor on Sunday.
Kendall Stephens scored 15 of his career-best 19 points in the first half for the Boilermakers (15-11, 5-8), who have lost six straight to Michigan State. Ronnie Johnson supplied 17 points in defeat.
Michigan State attempted a whopping 32 3-pointers, while only 20 shots came from inside the arc during the near wire-to-wire win.
The Spartans relied almost exclusively on the 3-ball in the opening frame, as 19 of their 22 shots were from long range. They made 13 compared to just one 2-point field goal and led 49-38.
Purdue trailed by double figures throughout the majority of the second half.
Travis Trice knocked down the Spartans' final trey with 4:29 to go.
Trice had 14 points and Keith Appling dished out nine assists for Michigan State ... The Spartans have won each of the last six meetings by double digits since a 67-47 loss on Feb. 27, 2011 ... Purdue fell to 0-5 against ranked teams this season ... The Boilermakers shot 49.0 percent from the field, but made only 60 percent of their free throws (24-of-40).
- MICHIGAN STATE: 94
Feb 20 9:08 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 49
Feb 20 7:58 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 20 7:03 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Deyonta Davis has shot to shine for 2nd-seeded Spartans Mar 15