Miracle in Madison: Northwestern upsets WisconsinJan 30, 2014 - 6:30 AM Madison, WI (SportsNetwork.com) - Drew Crawford poured in 30 points and grabbed eight rebounds to help Northwestern to a 65-56 upset over No. 14 Wisconsin at Kohl Center.
JerShon Cobb and Tre Demps scored 10 apiece, while the former grabbed six boards for the Wildcats (11-11, 4-5 Big Ten), who broke a 14-game losing streak in Madison.
"Obviously a tremendous, tremendous win for our team, for our program. I have so much respect for this Wisconsin program and I know how tough it is to play in this building," Northwestern head coach Chris Collins said.
Ben Brust netted 21 and had five steals for Wisconsin (17-4, 4-4), which has lost four of its last five. Sam Dekker added 11 points and seven rebounds in the loss.
The teams traded baskets to start the second half until Crawford nailed a 3 to knot the game at 34 apiece with 11:41 remaining on the clock.
Nigel Hayes made one of two from the foul line to put Wisconsin back in the lead, but Northwestern went on a 15-2 tear after the free throw to take a 49-37 advantage with 5:30 on the clock.
Trailing by 10 with a minute-plus remaining Brust tried his best to bring the Badgers back, however his six points wasn't enough to overcome Northwestern as Wisconsin only came within six in the last minute.
"We had open shots and we didn't knock them down," Brust said.
The first 20 minutes went back-and-forth with six lead changes and four ties. The largest lead in the half was six points and came 1:16 into the game after Wisconsin made two straight treys.
The Badgers led 23-22 at the half.
Wisconsin hosts Ohio State on Saturday ... Northwestern resumes play Saturday at Minnesota ... The Wildcats are 1-13 all-time at the Kohl Center ... Northwestern shot 7-for-16 from beyond the arc, while Wisconsin went 5-for-24 from long distance.
- NORTHWESTERN: 65
Jan 29 11:06 PM
- NORTHWESTERN: 22
Jan 29 9:48 PM
- NORTHWESTERN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 29 9:10 PM
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Native sons Chryst, Gard lead Wisconsin's visible programs Mar 14