Wisconsin edges Penn State for seventh straight winMar 3, 2014 - 12:23 AM University Park, PA (SportsNetwork.com) - Josh Gasser had 15 points, Ben Brust scored 14 and 14th-ranked Wisconsin fended off Penn State, 71-66, at the Bryce Jordan Center.
Gasser and Brust accounted for seven of the Badgers' eight made 3-pointers. Gasser knocked down one of his three treys to make it 43-33 early in the second half.
Penn State, seeking its second straight home win over a ranked opponent, got within two three times, but couldn't move ahead.
A Tim Frazier shot in the lane cut the Nittany Lions' deficit to 66-64 with 18.2 seconds remaining. Traevon Jackson then made four free throws around a missed 3-pointer by D.J. Newbill to seal Wisconsin's seventh consecutive win.
"They were doing some things with traps, trying to get us to cough it up. They were playing hard and trying to get us out of what we were trying to do," said Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan. "I thought we got the ball out of trouble a couple times and got it to an open player. If you let those double teams get you, then it's an avalanche."
Jackson finished with 13 points and five assists for the Badgers (24-5, 11-5 Big Ten).
Newbill scored 23 points to pace the Nittany Lions (14-15, 5-11), who posted a 65-63 victory over No. 22 Ohio State on Thursday.
"We just needed a second scorer. Newbill cannot do it all by himself," said Penn State coach Patrick Chambers. "I think a second and third scorer is what we need to get production."
The Badgers led by as many as nine points in the first half before taking a 31-27 advantage to the break.
The Badgers established a school record for regular-season wins away from home with 11 ... Wisconsin won for the 18th time in the last 20 meetings with Penn State and improved to 9-1 in its last 10 trips to University Park ... Newbill became Penn State's 31st 1,000-point scorer. He now has 1,020 points in two seasons ... Frazier scored 10 points and grabbed three rebounds. He joined Iowa's Jeff Horner (2003-06) as the only players in Big Ten history to reach 1,000 points, 600 assists and 500 rebounds.
- WISCONSIN: 71
PENN STATE: 66
Mar 2 1:58 PM
- WISCONSIN: 31
PENN STATE: 27
Mar 2 12:47 PM
- WISCONSIN: 0
PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 2 12:03 PM
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Native sons Chryst, Gard lead Wisconsin's visible programs Mar 14