Wyoming ends SDSU's 20-game win streakFeb 12, 2014 - 8:07 AM Laramie, WY (SportsNetwork.com) - Riley Grabau had 17 points, Larry Nance, Jr. scored 14 and Wyoming knocked off fifth-ranked San Diego State, 68-62, snapping the Aztecs' 20-game winning streak.
Nathan Sobey and Charles Hankerson, Jr. both supplied nine points to the Cowboys' (15-9, 6-5 MWC) first win over a Top-5 opponent since they topped then-No. 5 Utah on Feb. 12, 1998.
"I'm just so happy for these players," said Wyoming head coach Larry Shyatt. "They've worked so hard, and they deserved a signature win like this one."
San Diego State's top scorer, Xavier Thames, finished with 13 points on 3- of-16 shooting, including 0-of-8 from 3-point range.
Dwayne Polee II paced the Aztecs (21-2, 10-1) with 15 points, while J.J. O'Brien had 11 and Josh Davis and Winston Shepard contributed 10 apiece.
The Aztecs had tied the school record for consecutive wins set by the 2010-11 squad.
Wyoming led by 16 points at 52-36 with 8:10 remaining, but San Diego State closed within 66-62 in the final minute. After Sobey made 1-of-2 free throws with 30 seconds left, the Aztecs' Matt Shrigley drove the baseline for a layup and was blocked by Jerron Granberry.
O'Brien and Thames both misfired on 3-point attempts after Granberry sank 1- of-2 foul shots.
The Cowboys held San Diego State to 29.6 percent shooting in the first half and ended the frame on a 10-1 run to carry a 32-23 lead to the break.
Back-to-back dunks by Derek Cooke, Jr., the second a one-handed slam on a lob from Nance, put Wyoming up 39-25 with a little over three minutes gone in the second half.
San Diego State has lost its last two trips to Wyoming's Arena-Auditorium. It is the Aztecs' only two losses in the last eight meetings ... Wyoming improved to 27-29 all-time against ranked opponents at home ... Thames became the 29th player to score 1,000 points at San Diego State. He now has 1,011 ... The Aztecs owned a 38-25 rebounding advantage, including a 21-4 edge on the offensive glass.
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 62
Feb 12 1:04 AM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 23
Feb 11 11:49 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 11 11:06 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Shyatt steps down as Wyoming coach; Edwards is new coach Mar 21
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21