No. 1 Arizona remains unbeaten with win over UtahJan 27, 2014 - 5:20 AM Tucson, AZ (SportsNetwork.com) - Nick Johnson had 22 points and the top-ranked Arizona Wildcats remained perfect with a 65-56 victory over the Utah Utes on Sunday.
Aaron Gordon added 10 points and 12 rebounds for the Wildcats (20-0, 7-0 Pac-12), who set a school record with their 20th consecutive victory. In addition, Arizona extended its home winning streak to 17 games.
"It means a lot," Arizona head coach Sean Miller said of the team winning its 20th straight game. "Anytime that we have an opportunity to accomplish a goal, I shouldn't say goal, but to set a record at Arizona, it's so meaningful because of the history here. It's so special."
Delon Wright ended with 19 points and six boards for the Utes (14-6, 3-5), who have lost two in a row. Jordan Loveridge tallied 13 points.
Utah used an 8-0 run to take a 47-45 lead with 11:04 to play. Kenneth Ogbe bookended the spurt with a pair of 3-pointers.
But the wheels quickly came off for the Utes.
The Wildcats went on an 18-4 run to claim victory. Johnson tallied eight points during the surge that featured three dunks, including Brandon Ashley's slam with one minute to go.
The Utes started the game on a 12-2 run, but the Wildcats responded with 12 straight points.
"We jumped out early and came out with a lot of energy like coach wanted," Utah forward Dakaral Tucker said.
The score was tied with 2:12 left when Arizona scored the final five points of the first half. Kaleb Tarczewski's slam at the buzzer made it a 31-26 contest.
Utah holds a 28-26 lead in the all-time series with Arizona, but the Wildcats have won the last eight meetings ... The Wildcats had 20 offensive rebounds, compared to nine for Utah ... Ashley tallied 11 points and seven rebounds.
- UTAH: 56
Jan 26 10:13 PM
- UTAH: 26
Jan 26 9:06 PM
- UTAH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 26 8:13 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Utah center Jakob Poeltl declares for NBA draft Apr 13
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Gonzaga's Sabonis gets best of Utah's Poeltl Mar 20
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Seniors Taylor, Loveridge have No. 13 Utah rolling to finish Mar 3
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25