No. 23 UCLA routs CaliforniaFeb 20, 2014 - 7:57 AM Berkeley, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - Jordan Adams had 28 points, six rebounds and five steals in the 23rd-ranked UCLA Bruins' 86-66 victory over the California Golden Bears on Wednesday.
Travis Wear added 13 points for the Bruins (21-5, 10-3 Pac-12), who have won four in a row. Kyle Anderson tallied 11 points, nine boards and seven assists.
"I thought we played really well," UCLA coach Steve Alford said. "Jordan [Adams] is really in a groove, and I think, I hope it is because we are really deep in our ability to score baskets. I think what Jordan is doing, he is starting to get rhythm."
Jordan Mathews ended with 16 points for the Golden Bears (17-9, 8-5), who had a two-game winning streak snapped. Jabari Bird had 11 points.
UCLA scored the first six points of the game and never looked back. The Bruins built a 20-8 margin on Adams' layup with 10:39 left in the first half.
California stayed within striking distance and used a 5-0 spurt to get within four. Justin Cobbs' three-point play with 3:46 remaining made it 34-30.
But the Bruins scored the next seven points. Bryce Alford made a 3-pointer before Wear made a pair of jumpers to make it 41-30 UCLA. It was a 44-32 game at the half.
California got within nine, 50-41, early in the second half, but UCLA scored 11 of the next 14 points. Adams' jumper with 13:18 to play made it a 61-44 contest.
It was a double-digit game the rest of the way.
"They certainly played better than us tonight," California coach Mike Montgomery said. "They have some very good athletes and they played extremely well across the board. We had tough matchups."
The Bruins lead the all-time series by a 135-101 margin ... UCLA shot 56.9 percent from the field ... The Golden Bears turned the ball over 13 times.
- UCLA: 86
Feb 20 12:32 AM
- UCLA: 44
Feb 19 11:25 PM
- UCLA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 19 10:38 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Cal's Ivan Rabb bypasses draft to stay for sophomore season Apr 25
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Cal's tumultuous week ended by No. 13 seed Hawaii 77-66 Mar 18
- Cal point guard Tyrone Wallace breaks hand in practice Mar 18
- Cal coach Cuonzo Martin declines to discuss school review Mar 17
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- Cal to face familiar friend in Hawaii assistant Montgomery Mar 17
- No. 24 California enters Pac-12 tournament on a roll Mar 7
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- After undefeated February, Cal seeks Pac-12 title in March Mar 1
- California looks to solve road woes on trip to Washington Feb 16