No. 21 Colorado crushes USCJan 19, 2014 - 4:22 AM Boulder, CO (SportsNetwork.com) - Josh Scott posted 20 points and seven rebounds as No. 21 Colorado dominated USC, 83-62.
Askia Booker gave 13 points and six assists, while Xavier Johnson and Jaron Hopkins each had 10 points for the Buffaloes (15-4, 4-2 Pac 12), who had dropped their previous two games.
"This was just what the doctor ordered for this team, in terms of timing, this was the kind of game we needed. I'm really proud of our guys, from the end of the bench to the guys on the floor for the way they responded," said Colorado coach Tad Boyle.
Omar Oraby scored 16 points with six rebounds, and J.T. Terrell had 16 points and for the Trojans (9-9, 0-5), who have lost five straight.
Colorado ripped off 18 straight points early in the first half to take control of this game, as George King capped the burst with a 3-pointer for a 20-2 advantage eight minutes in.
USC kept the game from getting out of hand and trailed by 12 late in the first half after D.J. Haley put in a layup, but Johnson converted a 3-point play and Booker hit a jumper in the final moments to give the Buffaloes a 40-23 lead at the break.
"We played basically an even game after they got up 20-2 on us, but it was basically an even game after that and when you keep your turnovers down and you make your free throws, even if you shoot a low percentage from the field like we did, you can still be in most games," said USC coach Andy Enfield.
The Trojans scored the first four points of the second half, but that was as close as it got as the Buffaloes scored the next nine points, with Scott's jumper giving the team a 49-27 lead 4 1/2 minutes in.
Colorado's lead reached as high as 28 points down the stretch as the team cruised to the win.
Colorado plays at Arizona on Thursday ... Southern California hosts California on Wednesday ... Colorado leads the series, 5-3 ... Colorado shot 50.9 percent and grabbed 43 rebounds, while USC hit just 36.8 percent of its shots and hauled down 23 rebounds.
- Southern California extends coach Andy Enfield's contract Mar 28
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- USC chosen for first NCAA Tournament since 2011 Mar 13
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24
- Anglin scores 20, Northern Colorado tops Montana State 78-76 Jan 16
- Boyle, Buffs look to rebound from disappointing season Oct 28
- Colorado Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Southern California looks to improved talent to find way up Oct 28
- Southern California Preview Capsule Oct 28