Kentucky struggles, still edges AuburnFeb 13, 2014 - 4:50 AM Auburn, AL (SportsNetwork.com) - Andrew Harrison scored 16 points and No. 14 Kentucky overcame a poor shooting performance to beat Auburn for the 16th straight time, 64-56, on Wednesday.
Julius Randle posted 12 points and 12 rebounds for the Wildcats (19-5, 9-2 SEC), who narrowly avoided a letdown in advance of Saturday's showdown at home against third-ranked Florida. Aaron Harrison added 10 points for a Kentucky team that was held to 30.9 percent shooting.
"We shot 30 percent and won the game. That is old school," said Kentucky head coach John Calipari. "We just didn't have a whole group of guys playing. James (Young) gave us nothing. We broke down. We didn't rebound. We were soft."
Chris Denson was the lone Auburn player to score in double figures, finishing with a game-best 26 points. The Tigers (11-11, 3-8) haven't defeated Kentucky since a 66-63 triumph on Jan. 11, 2000.
Auburn appeared primed to end the drought, going on a 16-4 run after Andrew Harrison nailed a 3-pointer to open the second half.
A Denson jumper gave the Tigers their first lead at 36-35 and an Allen Payne dunk capped the surge and made it 38-35 with 11:29 remaining.
Down 42-41, Kentucky went on a 9-0 run to take back control. An Aaron Harrison jumper put the Wildcats up eight with 4:02 to play.
Andrew Harrison wrapped up an 8-for-11 effort at the free-throw line by making four attempts in the final minute.
"I thought we played as hard as them, but at the end of the day they made more winning plays," said Auburn head coach Tony Barbee.
Kentucky led 28-22 at halftime despite going the final 7:01 without making a field goal.
Dakari Johnson had eight points, eight rebounds and two steals for the Wildcats ... Kentucky owned a 49-36 rebounding advantage ... Auburn outscored Kentucky 32-22 in the paint.
- KENTUCKY: 64
Feb 12 10:09 PM
- KENTUCKY: 28
Feb 12 8:53 PM
- KENTUCKY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 12 8:05 PM
- Kentucky reserve G/F Charles Matthews requests transfer May 18
- Calipari plans to coach Kentucky 'the rest of my career' May 16
- Calipari: Defense, size will be Kentucky's initial strengths May 11
- Auburn players Shamsid-Deen, Reed won't return next season May 6
- Kentucky's Skal Labissiere announces plan to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Kentucky guard Jamal Murray says he will enter NBA draft Apr 1
- Calipari: All eligible Kentucky players to enter NBA draft Mar 23
- Kentucky's up-and-down season ends with early tourney exit Mar 20
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky falters, loses to Indiana 73-67 Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Kentucky routs Stony Brook 85-57, gets Indiana next Mar 18