Frazier, No. 1 Florida rout South CarolinaMar 5, 2014 - 3:52 AM Columbia, SC (SportsNetwork.com) - Michael Frazier made a school-record 11 3- pointers and scored a career-high 37 points and No. 1 Florida picked it up in the second half to beat South Carolina 72-46 on Tuesday.
The Gators, riding a school-record winning streak and having already clinched the SEC title last week, used an 18-0 run to pull away after leading by just two at halftime.
They avoided becoming the second straight upset victim of the Gamecocks, who were coming off Saturday's 72-67 shocker over then-No. 17 Kentucky.
Florida (28-2, 17-0 SEC) has won 22 in a row since a loss at Connecticut on Dec. 2.
The Gators will put their unbeaten conference record on the line for the last time Saturday at home against No. 25 Kentucky in the regular-season finale for both teams. No SEC team has ever gone 18-0 in the conference.
Mindaugas Kacinas scored 12 points and Duane Notice added 11 to lead South Carolina (11-19, 4-13).
Florida coach Billy Donovan said Frazier's big night was a product of how South Carolina defends.
"It's really, really hard to get to the basket," he said. "They converge, they challenge you at the rim. Nothing's easy and they contest everything. ...
"We found him at good times and he got going in an unbelievable way in the second half and really opened up the game for us."
Frazier went 11-of-18 from 3-point range and 12-for-21 overall from the field. He had 15 points in the first half but the Gators shot under 37 percent and led 28-26 at the break.
Their 18 straight points in the second half came after South Carolina scored to get within 39-35. Frazier had four 3s during the surge and Patric Young scored five of his nine points during it.
The Gators led by as many as 28.
Florida already set a program record for conference wins and regular-season wins ... South Carolina plays at Mississippi State on Saturday to finish the regular season ... The Gators lead the all-time series 42-22 and have won six straight against the Gamecocks and 13 of the last 16.
- FLORIDA: 72
SOUTH CAROLINA: 46
Mar 4 9:02 PM
- FLORIDA: 28
SOUTH CAROLINA: 26
Mar 4 7:47 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
SOUTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 4 7:03 PM
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15