Afflalo, UCLA cruise to easy victory over ChaminadeNov 21, 2006 - 6:37 AM MAUI, Hawaii (Ticker) -- Arron Afflalo and UCLA were a prohibitive favorite against Chaminade and they showed why.
Afflalo scored 25 points and the fifth-ranked Bruins jumped out to an early lead and blasted Chaminade, 88-63, in the first round of the Maui Invitational.
The Bruins advanced to the semifinals against Kentucky on Tuesday. The No. 22 Wildcats advanced with an 87-81 victory over DePaul. The two schools have combined for 18 national titles, 11 won by UCLA.
UCLA (2-0) decided the issue early, jumping out to a 12-2 lead in the first three minutes of the game and sailed from there, opening a 43-20 lead at halftime.
Afflalo, a junior guard, shot 10-of-14 from the floor and 5-of-7 from 3-point range. He scored 17 of his total as the Bruins jumped out to a 17-2 advantage.
Josh Shipp scored 16 points and Darren Collison chipped in with 15 for the Bruins, who shot 57 percent (35-of-62).
Zack Whiting led the Division II Silverswords (0-1) with 14 points and 10 assists while Darrell Birton added 12 points. Chaminade only shot 8-of-24 (33 percent) from the field.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28
- UCLA Preview Capsule Oct 28
- UCLA freshman Looney declares for NBA Draft Apr 6
- Gonzaga advances after pulling away from UCLA Mar 28
- UCLA and Gonzaga square off in South Region semifinals Mar 27
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- Madness! UCLA beats SMU on goaltending call Mar 19
- Bruins battle Mustangs in South Regional affair Mar 19
- Ashley scores 24 as Arizona tops UCLA Mar 14