Williams, Budinger carry Arizona over SamfordNov 23, 2006 - 5:19 AM TUCSON, Arizona (Ticker) -- Arizona turned to its youngsters to put away Samford early.
Sophomore Marcus Williams and freshman Chase Budinger combined for 26 points in the first half as the 15th-ranked Wildcats rolled past the Bulldogs with an 86-57 victory.
Behind last season's top freshman and this year's sensational first-year player, Arizona (3-1) continued to roll following a tough season-opening loss at Virginia. The Wildcats have beaten their last three opponents by an average of 22 points.
With Williams and Budinger hitting a combined 13-of-16 from the floor, Arizona shot 62 percent (21-of-34) en route to a 46-18 halftime lead. That advantage was never threatened as the Wildcats continued the sizzling shooting after halftime, finishing 58 percent (36-of-62).
Williams and Budinger both ended with 14 points on a combined 14-of-21 (67 percent) effort.
Mustafa Shakur also had 14 points and Jawann McClellan added 12 and nine rebounds for Arizona, which held a 47-21 advantage on the boards.
Although this was the first meeting with Samford, Arizona improved to 5-1 against teams from the Ohio Valley Conference.
Randall Gulina hit five 3-pointers and scored 21 points for the Bulldogs (1-3), who shot 21 percent (6-of-29) in the first half.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- Freshman Trier to miss up to 6 weeks for No. 7 Arizona Jan 10
- Arizona's Trier coming on strong after talk from Miller Dec 12
- Gonzaga, Arizona to keep one of West's best matchups going Dec 2
- Arizona's Tarczewski out at least a month with foot injury Dec 1