Ray's career-high 27 points lift RutgersNov 28, 2009 - 3:38 AM ST. THOMAS, Virgin Islands(AP) -- Brittany Ray scored a career-high 27 points to help Rutgers upset No. 19 Mississippi State 62-54 on Friday night in the Paradise Jam.
Rutgers trailed 7-4 early before going on a 15-2 run. April Sykes had seven of her 12 points during the spurt. Ray started off the burst with back-to-back jumpers. Mississippi State would close to 23-19, but Ray scored five points in the final 1:17 of the half to restore the lead to 10 at the break.
"Brittany (Ray) just refused to lose; her mindset was it is time for us to win," Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer said. "She has been saying that in all the games and it was nice to see her have a great game. I was also pleased with the play of April (Sykes). She played very calming and settled and played more in control."
The Lady Bulldogs would get within seven in the second half before Ray scored six of the Scarlet Knights' final nine points to seal the win.
"My coaches tell me to keep shooting and I would get my shot back," Ray said. "Today, I did and knocked down those shots."
Alexis Rack scored 17 points and Armelie Lumanu added 12 to lead Mississippi State (4-2), which lost to Texas in its opening game Thursday. Rutgers will take on the Longhorns on Saturday while Mississippi State will play Southern Cal.
Rutgers (4-2) held Mississippi State to just 29 percent shooting (20 for 69).
- NCAA WOMENS BB
MISSISSIPPI ST (19) 54 FINAL
Nov 27 7:36 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
MISSISSIPPI ST (19) 20 HALFTIME
Nov 27 6:33 PM
- UConn advances with record rout, beats Miss State 98-38 Mar 26
- Mississippi St.-UConn Preview Mar 26
- Mississippi State set to take on top-seed UConn Mar 26
- No. 5 Mississippi St beats No. 4 Michigan State 74-72 Mar 20
- Michigan St.-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 19
- Michigan State's offense to get a test vs. Mississippi State Mar 19
- Mississippi State tops Chattanooga 60-50 Mar 18
- Chattanooga-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 3 South Carolina tops Mississippi St for 2nd SEC title Mar 6
- Vivians, No. 16 Mississippi State women top Tennessee 58-48 Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- No. 16 Mississippi State women beat Vanderbilt 63-46 Mar 4