Harvin leads No. 12 Florida St past Auburn 82-67Nov 28, 2009 - 2:58 AM TALLAHASSEE, Fla.(AP) -- Alysha Harvin scored 18 points to lead No. 12 Florida State to an 82-67 win over Auburn on Friday night at the Seminole Classic.
The Seminoles (5-0) used an 11-0 run early in the second period to gain the lead and kept it. That run included FSU's first two 3-pointers of the game. Florida State hit 6 of 9 from 3-point range in the second period after missing all six first-half threes.
"We got better open looks as a result of who we were defensively," FSU coach Sue Semrau said. "They all had a lot of confidence in one another to knock shots down."
After trailing by as many as nine in the first, the Seminoles used an 11-0 run early in the second period to gain the lead and keep it. That run included FSU's first two 3-pointers of the game. The Seminoles hit six of nine threes in the second.
Auburn freshman Nicolle Thomas paced the Tigers (3-3) in the first half, scoring 18 of her game-high 27 points, including four 3-pointers. The Tigers' long distance touch faded in the second, as they missed nine of 11 3-point attempts after shooting 50 percent in the first.
"You get that break in the half and you never know what's going to happen when you come back out," Auburn coach Nell Fortner said. "We're a young team and we're still trying to learn how to play 40 minutes."
Jacinta Monroe added 17 points and seven blocks for FSU, while Courtney Ward added 12 and Alexa Deluzio added 11. Jordan Greenleaf scored 16 points with a game-high nine rebounds for Auburn, while Alli Smalley added 11 points.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FLORIDA ST (12) 82 FINAL
Nov 27 9:26 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FLORIDA ST (12) 31 HALFTIME
Nov 27 8:12 PM
- Illinois center Chatrice White transfers to Florida State May 14
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Florida State women look to make good on president's pick Mar 24
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Baylor women to 8th straight Sweet 16, beat Auburn 84-52 Mar 20
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Romero scores 17, leads Florida St past Middle Tennessee St Mar 19
- Auburn-Baylor Preview Mar 19
- Baylor women have old score to settle at home vs. Auburn Mar 19