Southern Cal 64, Mississippi St. 60Nov 29, 2009 - 1:01 AM ST. THOMAS, Virgin Islands (AP) -- Aarika Hughes scored 14 points and Southern Cal beat No. 19 Mississippi State 64-00 on Saturday night, the Trojans' second straight win over a ranked team.
USC (3-3) had a six-point halftime lead at the Paradise Jam before Mississippi State used a 17-8 spurt to take a 44-41 advantage 5 minutes into the second half. The Trojans trailed 49-48 before going on a 11-2 run to take a 60-51 lead with 5:59 left.
Mississippi State (4-3) scored the next seven points and was within 60-58 after Armelie Lumanu hit two free throws with 28 seconds left. The Lady Bulldogs had a chance to tie it on their next possession but missed a shot.
The Trojans, who beat No. 13 Texas on Friday, made all four of their free throws down the stretch to seal the win.
Lumanu scored 19 points and Tysheka Grimes added 18 points and 11 rebounds for the Bulldogs.
- UConn advances with record rout, beats Miss State 98-38 Mar 26
- Mississippi St.-UConn Preview Mar 26
- Mississippi State set to take on top-seed UConn Mar 26
- No. 5 Mississippi St beats No. 4 Michigan State 74-72 Mar 20
- Michigan St.-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 19
- Michigan State's offense to get a test vs. Mississippi State Mar 19
- Mississippi State tops Chattanooga 60-50 Mar 18
- Chattanooga-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 3 South Carolina tops Mississippi St for 2nd SEC title Mar 6
- Vivians, No. 16 Mississippi State women top Tennessee 58-48 Mar 5
- Weisner helps No. 8 Oregon State turn back USC 63-53 Mar 5
- No. 16 Mississippi State women beat Vanderbilt 63-46 Mar 4