No. 15 Aggies beat 12th-ranked Longhorns 58-44Feb 20, 2010 - 8:37 PM By KRISTIE RIEKEN AP Sports Writer
COLLEGE STATION, Texas(AP) -- Sydney Carter scored 14 points and Tanisha Smith added 13 to lead No. 15 Texas A&M to a 58-44 win over 12th-ranked Texas on Saturday.
The victory was the third straight for Texas A&M (19-6, 7-5 Big 12) and snapped a six-game winning streak for the Longhorns (19-7, 8-4).
The Aggies were up by three before outscoring Texas 10-1 to push the lead to 53-41 with about 1 minute remaining. Texas A&M led 49-41 before scoring four quick points helped by a steal by Danielle Adams to put the game out of reach.
Brittainey Raven had 17 points before fouling out with 42 seconds left to lead Texas.
There was a long break in action with about four minutes to play while officials decided there was an error in the foul count for Texas A&M. The Longhorns shot and made two free throws when the Aggies had just six fouls. The points were taken away, leaving the score at 47-40, and the Aggies team fouls were reduced from seven to six after the discussion.
The win gives the Aggies a season sweep of the Longhorns after a 91-70 win in Austin and is Texas A&M's seventh win in a row against Texas.
Raven was the only Longhorn that scored in double figures, but Ashley Gayle had 10 rebounds and four blocks.
Texas A&M trailed by five before going on a 12-2 run, powered by five points from Carter, to take a 38-33 lead with about 10 minutes remaining. The Aggies got four steals during that run, thanks to their effective use of a full-court press.
Texas went on a 10-2 run to open the second half and erase a three-point deficit, taking a 31-26 lead with under 14 minutes remaining. Texas A&M struggled to find an offensive rhythm in that span, at one point getting two straight shot clock violations followed by a missed layup.
Tyra White added 11 points for A&M, and Adams had six points, four steals and three blocks.
The Longhorns scored the first eight points of the game and took advantage of Texas A&M's poor early shooting to build a 15-4 lead by the 12-minute mark. The Aggies finally got going after that, breaking off a 16-4 run capped by a block and layup on the other end by Adams to take their first lead - 20-19 - about two minutes before halftime.
Texas A&M was up 24-21 at the break.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
TEXAS (12) 44
TEXAS A&M (15) 58 FINAL
Feb 20 3:21 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
TEXAS (12) 21
TEXAS A&M (15) 24 HALFTIME
Feb 20 1:57 PM
- UConn heads to 9th straight Final Four after beating Texas Mar 28
- Texas-UConn Preview Mar 27
- Auriemma has no apologies for UConn's dominance Mar 27
- Texas comes from behind to beat UCLA 72-64 in Bridgeport Mar 26
- UCLA-Texas Preview Mar 25
- UCLA and Texas play in Bridgeport's "other" semifinal Mar 25
- Atkins and Texas overpowers Missouri 73-55 to Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Missouri-Texas Preview Mar 20
- Muscular No. 10 Missouri's size a concern for No. 2 Texas Mar 20