No. 8 North Carolina earns 57-point winJan 4, 2011 - 3:16 AM Chapel Hill, NC (Sports Network) - Krista Gross and Waltiea Rolle both scored 16 points and No. 8 North Carolina blew out North Carolina Central in the second half for a 97-40 victory on Monday.
The Tar Heels (14-0) outscored their opponents 58-10 in the final 20 minutes after taking only a nine-point lead at the half.
Jessica Breland, Tierra Ruffin-Pratt and Cetera DeGraffenreid added 10 points apiece in the win, while Gross and Rolle posted double-doubles with 11 and 10 rebounds, respectively.
NCCU (2-11) was led by 17 points from Blaire Houston, but shot only 25 percent from the field. The Eagles made just three of their 30 shots in the second half.
North Carolina defeated NCCU for the fourth time in the last three seasons.
- NC CENTRAL: 40
NORTH CAROLINA: 97
Jan 3 8:59 PM
- NC CENTRAL: 30
NORTH CAROLINA: 39
Jan 3 7:52 PM
- NC CENTRAL: 0
NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 3 7:10 PM
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- Hatchell to sit 2 games for referee contact, NCAA violation Jan 29
- No. 21 Miami women beat UNC 76-61 for Katie Meier's 200th Jan 17
- Ogunbowale scores 16, No. 3 Notre Dame beats UNC 88-54 Jan 10
- No. 15 Northwestern women defeat North Carolina 85-72 Dec 2
- Gardner-Webb shocks No. 22 North Carolina women 66-65 Nov 13
- Late layup lifts South Carolina over Heels Mar 28
- UNC advances past Buckeyes on buzzer beater Mar 23
- Tar Heels get past Liberty on their home floor Mar 21
- UNC's Hatchell resumes coaching duties May 5