Duke holds off Maryland down the stretch in ACC openerJan 7, 2011 - 2:39 AM Durham, NC (Sports Network) - Jasmine Thomas and Chelsea Gray combined for 12 points over the final two minutes to lift third-ranked Duke over 14th-ranked Maryland, 71-64, at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Thomas scored 22 points while Gray added seven to go along with three steals and three assists off the bench for the Blue Devils (15-0, 1-0 ACC), who have won 25 of the last 32 meetings between the two schools.
Tricia Liston contributed 12 points and Haley Peters supplied nine points and nine boards for Duke, which has won 17 straight conference openers at home.
Kim Rodgers scored 18 points and Diandra Tchatchouang chipped in with 14 points and nine rebounds for the Terrapins (13-2, 0-1), who had a 12-game win streak snapped.
Maryland led 33-29 at the half and held a 60-58 edge with 2:41 left to go in the game before Duke embarked on an 11-2 game-changing run.
Thomas buried a three-pointer and a jumper to put Duke ahead for good before Gray added a layup to make it 65-60. Thomas made two at the line and Gray hit another layup to make it 69-62 with 29 ticks to play.
Gray hit one more at the line to account for the final margin.
- MARYLAND: 64
Jan 6 9:06 PM
- MARYLAND: 33
Jan 6 7:55 PM
- MARYLAND: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 6 7:07 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4