Tar Heels escape EaglesJan 9, 2011 - 8:52 PM Chestnut Hill, MA (Sports Network) - Jessica Breland posted 18 points with nine rebounds as No. 8 North Carolina managed to escape with an 84-83 win over Boston College at Conte Forum.
Italee Lucas added 17 points and Chay Shegog scored 16 with eight rebounds for the Tar Heels (15-1, 1-1 ACC), who managed to earn a road win after suffering their first loss of the year Thursday at Georgia Tech. Cetera DeGraffenreid added 10 points, seven steals, and six assists.
Kerri Shields tallied 18 points, all from beyond the arc, for the Eagles (13-3, 0-1), who have dropped three of five after starting the year 11-0. Stefanie Murphy scored 14 and pulled down 13 boards in the narrow setback.
Breland's tip-in with just over a minute and a half to play gave North Carolina an 84-81 edge.
Both teams then missed from long distance, but after Shields missed a long try, Murphy got the rebound and hit a shot from the paint to make it a one- point game with less than three seconds to go.
Lucas then drew a foul for UNC but missed the her first try from the line, and BC came up well short on a desperation three at the buzzer.
- NORTH CAROLINA: 84
BOSTON COLLEGE: 83
Jan 9 2:58 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 47
BOSTON COLLEGE: 38
Jan 9 1:52 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 0
BOSTON COLLEGE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 9 1:06 PM
- NC State women beat Boston College 76-60 in ACC Tournament Mar 3
- BC beats Virginia Tech 49-37 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- No. 2 Notre Dame tops Boston College women 70-58 Feb 27
- Butler leads No. 18 Syracuse women past Boston College 71-55 Feb 25
- Hines-Allen leads No. 11 Louisville women past BC 55-45 Feb 21
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- No. 16 Miami women pull away from Boston College 67-62 Feb 4
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- Hatchell to sit 2 games for referee contact, NCAA violation Jan 29
- No. 22 Duke women beat Boston College 71-51 Jan 17
- No. 21 Miami women beat UNC 76-61 for Katie Meier's 200th Jan 17