Griner leads No. 1 Baylor over TexasJan 13, 2011 - 4:57 AM Austin, TX (Sports Network) - Brittney Griner finished with a game-high 27 points, to go along with 10 rebounds and seven blocks, and the top-ranked Baylor Bears topped Texas, 87-72, at the Erwin Center.
Odyssey Sims added 23 points and five assists, while Melissa Jones contributed nine points, 13 rebounds and five assists for Baylor (15-1, 2-0 Big 12), which has won 12-straight since its 65-64 loss to UConn on November 16.
The Bears also snapped a two-game losing streak to the Longhorns.
Chassidy Fussell led Texas (11-5, 0-2) with 25 points. Yvonne Anderson and Ashleigh Fontenette added 17 and 13 points, respectively, for the Longhorns. Both Anderson and Fontenette grabbed six rebounds in the loss.
Griner led Baylor with 11 points and three blocks in the first half, while Sims scored nine points of her own, and the Bears took a 32-30 lead into the half.
The Longhorns struggled from the field in the second half, while Baylor used a 54.8 percent shooting effort to quickly stretch its lead to double-digits. Jones connected on a jumper with 7:19 remaining in the second half to put Baylor up 65-54, and its lead never fell below nine down the stretch.
- BAYLOR: 87
Jan 12 10:09 PM
- BAYLOR: 32
Jan 12 8:50 PM
- BAYLOR: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 12 8:07 PM
- Baylor women want to finish 2017 at Final Four in Dallas Mar 29
- Oregon St to women's Final Four after 60-57 win over Baylor Mar 29
- UConn heads to 9th straight Final Four after beating Texas Mar 28
- Oregon St.-Baylor Preview Mar 27
- Elite Eight not enough for Baylor women vs Oregon State Mar 27
- Texas-UConn Preview Mar 27
- Auriemma has no apologies for UConn's dominance Mar 27
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Texas comes from behind to beat UCLA 72-64 in Bridgeport Mar 26
- UCLA-Texas Preview Mar 25
- UCLA and Texas play in Bridgeport's "other" semifinal Mar 25
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25