No. 9 West Virginia stays on course, tops USFJan 23, 2011 - 12:37 AM Morgantown, WV (Sports Network) - Liz Repella and Sarah Miles both scored 16 points, and No. 9 West Virginia easily dispatched USF, 78-52, at WVU Coliseum.
Madina Ali added 10 points for West Virginia (19-1, 5-1 Big East), which has won three straight since its lone setback of the season, a 69-54 loss at Marquette on January 11.
Andrea Smith paced the Bulls (9-11, 0-6) with 16 points, while her sister Andrell Smith added 12 points. South Florida has dropped two straight and six of seven overall.
West Virginia led 35-28 at the half. Repella led the Mountaineers with 11 points and five boards, while Miles added six points and four steals in the opening 20 minutes.
The Bulls opened the second half with a Sasha Bernard free throw and Daleisha Carn jumper to trim their deficit to 35-31. However, that was as close as USF would get. Repella added a jumper and Vanessa House knocked down a long three, both shots coming off USF turnovers, to widen West Virginia's margin to 40-31 with 17:53 remaining.
Two Miles free throws extended the Mountaineers' lead to 42-33 just inside the 17-minute mark, and sparked a 19-0 run to put the game out of reach for good. Ayana Dunning capped the run with two free throws, and West Virginia cruised down the stretch.
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 52
WEST VIRGINIA: 78
Jan 22 6:03 PM
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 28
WEST VIRGINIA: 35
Jan 22 4:53 PM
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 22
WEST VIRGINIA: 29
1st Half - 4:56
Jan 22 4:42 PM
- Jordin Canada leads UCLA into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- South Florida-UCLA Preview Mar 20
- Guards highlight UCLA-South Florida in NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Williams leads South Florida into second round Mar 20
- Williams leads South Florida into the second round Mar 19
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Colorado St.-South Florida Preview Mar 18
- West Virginia tops Princeton in women's NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Princeton-West Virginia Preview Mar 17
- UConn wins American for 3rd straight year, 77-51 over USF Mar 7