Notre Dame uses balanced attack to down USFFeb 6, 2011 - 4:01 AM Tampa, FL (Sports Network) - Natalie Novosel finished with 19 points and eight rebounds to lead a balanced attack, as No. 8 Notre Dame got past South Florida, 76-68, at the Sun Dome.
Skylar Diggins added 17 points and Becca Bruszewski totaled 16 for the Fighting Irish (20-4, 9-1 Big East), who have won seven in a row. Natalie Achonwa chipped in 14 points and eight boards.
Andrea Smith had 20 points to lead the Bulls (10-13, 1-8), who have dropped four of five. Andrell Smith added 15 points and Akila McDonald scored 14.
South Florida never led as Notre Dame took control early. The Irish built a 42-30 lead by halftime and led by double-digits for almost all of the second half.
The Bulls got within 73-66 after Andrea Smith drained a three-pointer with 45 seconds left, but Diggins followed with two free throws to help secure the Notre Dame victory.
- NOTRE DAME: 76
SOUTH FLORIDA: 68
Feb 5 9:17 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 42
SOUTH FLORIDA: 30
Feb 5 7:59 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 0
SOUTH FLORIDA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 5 7:17 PM
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Jordin Canada leads UCLA into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- South Florida-UCLA Preview Mar 20
- Guards highlight UCLA-South Florida in NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Williams leads South Florida into second round Mar 20