Moore leads Huskies over WVUFeb 9, 2011 - 2:41 AM Morgantown, WV (Sports Network) - Maya Moore posted 27 points to lead No. 2 Connecticut to a 57-51 win over 17th-ranked West Virginia at WVU Coliseum.
Stefanie Dolson tallied 10 points and nine rebounds for the Huskies (23-1, 11-0 Big East), who have won 11 straight since losing to Stanford on December 30.
Madina Ali totaled 17 points and eight rebounds for West Virginia (20-5, 6-5), which has dropped four of its last five games. Liz Repella netted 13 points in the loss. The Mountaineers won the battle on the glass, 37-29, though shot just 30 percent.
West Virginia led by two, 29-27, at the conclusion of the opening 20 minutes. But near the midpoint of the second half, the Huskies began to take control. Moore's jumper with 12 minutes left broke a tie, and began an 11-3 run that increased the Huskies' advantage to 47-39 with 6:15 remaining.
WVU was within six, 55-49, after two Ali free throws with just over a minute to go, but Bria Hartley answered with a field goal at the other end, giving UConn an eight-point lead and essentially sealing the victory.
- CONNECTICUT: 57
WEST VIRGINIA: 51
Feb 8 8:59 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 27
WEST VIRGINIA: 29
Feb 8 7:49 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
WEST VIRGINIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 8 7:07 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2