No. 1 UConn cruises past SyracuseMar 1, 2011 - 3:01 AM Storrs, CT (Sports Network) - Maya Moore led the way with 23 points, eight rebounds and three steals, as No. 1 ranked Connecticut handled Syracuse, 82-47, in Big East action.
Tiffany Hayes hit 4-of-7 from three-point range to finish with 18 points for Connecticut (29-1, 16-0 Big East), which closed out its regular-season schedule by winning 17 straight since their 90-game winning streak was snapped by Stanford on December 30.
Kelly Faris had a solid game with nine points, eight boards and five assists, while Bria Hartley netted nine points in the victory.
Iasia Hemingway had a team-leading 13 points to go with seven boards for Syracuse (21-8, 9-7), which had a five-game winning streak halted. Erica Morrow had 11 points in defeat.
UConn jumped out to an 18-4 lead nearly 5 1/2 minutes into the contest. Hayes hit a pair of three-pointers, while Moore contributed six points during the quick start.
The Huskies held a comfortable advantage throughout the opening 20 minutes and Lauren Engeln's layup just ahead of the halftime buzzer sounding, gave Connecticut a 49-20 edge heading into the locker room.
Syracuse never threatened the outcome in the second half, trailing by double- digits throughout.
- SYRACUSE: 47
Feb 28 9:32 PM
- SYRACUSE: 20
Feb 28 8:29 PM
- SYRACUSE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 28 7:40 PM
- Wagner guard Jasmine Nwajei transferring to Syracuse May 17
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Syracuse defense cracks under UConn onslaught in title game Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Syracuse hoping for big payoff from run to championship game Apr 4