Duke claims ACC Tournament crown with win over UNCMar 6, 2011 - 10:34 PM Greensboro, NC (Sports Network) - Jasmine Thomas scored 21 points to lead eighth-ranked Duke to an 81-66 victory over No. 19 North Carolina for its second straight and seventh ACC Tournament Championship in school history.
Haley Peters supplied 14 points and Karima Christmas added 13 and nine rebounds for the Blue Devils (29-3), who have won their last six games.
Jessica Breland scored a game-best 27 points for the Tar Heels (25-8), who were denied in their bid to become the first team in ACC Tournament history to win four games in four days.
Italee Lucas provided 11 points and Chay Shegog chipped in with 10 for UNC, which had entered the tourney on a four-game losing streak.
Duke led 37-32 at the break and the teams were not separated by more than five points during the first half of the second stanza.
Breland hit two foul shots to put the Heels ahead 54-53 with 9 1/2 minutes to go before Duke took control with 15 straight points in the midst of a 20-2 run.
Krystal Thomas hit back-to-back shots to ignite the decisive surge and Peters finished it with a pair of free throws.
The Tar Heels reached the championship game for the 16th time but were stalled in their attempt to win a 10th title.
- NORTH CAROLINA: 66
Mar 6 3:09 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 32
Mar 6 2:01 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 6 1:12 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1