Moore, top-ranked Huskies rout Rutgers to reach Big East finalMar 8, 2011 - 4:48 AM Hartford, CT (Sports Network) - Maya Moore led the way with 22 points, six rebounds and five assists, as top-ranked Connecticut rolled past Rutgers, 75-51, and into the Big East tournament championship game.
Kelly Faris added 19 points and Stephanie Dolson posted 12 points and nine rebounds for UConn (31-1), which won its 19th straight game and advanced to the conference tournament title game for the 21st time in the past 23 seasons.
The Huskies will play Notre Dame in the championship game on Tuesday night.
Erica Wheeler led Rutgers (19-12) with 17 points and Khadijah Rushdan recorded nine points and six assists.
The victory was UConn's 80th straight at home and 68th consecutive conference win with its last conference loss coming at Rutgers on February 5, 2008. Not on this night, however, as Moore engineered an 11-0 burst to push the Huskies in front 29-14, and the rout was on from there.
Moore scored 15 of those points, outscoring the Scarlet Knights at that juncture. She found Bria Hartley for an open trey just before the halftime buzzer, opening a 39-20 lead, and the advantage was never in jeopardy the rest of the way.
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2