Marist weathers Cyclones in NCAA TournamentMar 19, 2011 - 11:07 PM Durham, NC (Sports Network) - Kate Oliver scored 16 points, leading all five starters in double figures, as the Marist Red Foxes topped the Iowa State Cyclones, 74-64, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament's Philadelphia Regional at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Brandy Gang accounted for 13 points for 10th-seeded Marist (31-2) in their first-ever meeting against seventh-seeded Iowa State (22-11). Also getting in on the action for the Red Foxes was Corielle Yarde with 12 points, eight assists and five rebounds, while Elise Caron and Erica Allenspach chipped in 12 and 11 points, respectively.
The Cyclones were paced by Anna Prins who produced a double-double consisting of 25 points and 11 rebounds, while Kelsey Bolte tallied 18 points, seven boards and five assists. Chelsea Poppens checked in with 12 rebounds, but shot only 2-of-8 from the floor on the afternoon.
ISU led by a basket early in the first half, but the team shot just 34.6 percent from the floor in the period and was left with a 40-25 deficit at the break.
In the second half the Cyclones again shot below 35 percent from the field, including just 3-of-10 behind the three-point line, as Marist held on for the double-digit win.
The Red Foxes were crushed on the glass, 48-29, and came up with just four offensive rebounds, but at the same time the squad forced 17 turnovers which they traded in for 26 points.
The Red Foxes will now take on Duke in the second round of the event.
- MARIST: 74
IOWA STATE: 64
Mar 19 1:15 PM
- MARIST: 40
IOWA STATE: 25
Mar 19 12:00 PM
- MARIST: 0
IOWA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 11:16 AM
- Iowa State's Bill Fennelly, sued by ex-star, defends self Apr 29
- Moody's attorney, Iowa State disagree on university ruling Apr 19
- APNewsBreak: Former Iowa St star Nikki Moody sues coach Apr 18
- Texas Tech women beat Iowa St. 89-84 in Big 12 tournament Mar 4
- No. 22 West Virginia women cruise past Iowa State 82-57 Mar 1
- Williams has 32 as No. 23 Oklahoma women roll Iowa St. 85-54 Feb 27
- No. 4 Baylor women win 14th in a row, 78-41 over Iowa State Feb 20
- No. 24 West Virginia women close out Iowa State 57-47 Feb 10
- No. 6 Texas beats Iowa State 65-49 Feb 6
- No. 21 Oklahoma women beat Iowa State 77-71 Jan 30
- No. 4 Baylor cruises past Iowa State 77-61 Jan 23
- No 4 Texas remains undefeated with 75-54 win over Iowa State Jan 6