Temple advances with stingy defensive effortMar 20, 2011 - 1:15 AM Salt Lake City, UT (Sports Network) - Victoria Macaulay scored 12 points to lead the Temple Owls to a 63-45 victory over the Arizona State Sun Devils in first round action of the Dayton Region of the NCAA Tournament at the Huntsman Center.
Kristen McCarthy added 10 points for the 10th-seeded Owls (24-8), who will play Notre Dame in the second round. Shey Peddy also contributed 10 points, but also finished with seven rebounds and six steals.
Kimberly Brandon registered 11 points for Arizona State (20-11), while Becca Tobin finished with 10 points and eight rebounds.
Temple went into the break with a 31-20 lead after holding Arizona State to a woeful 26.7 percent shooting effort from the floor in the first half.
In the second stanza Temple shot 48.4 percent, en route to the 18-point win.
Temple's bench racked 19 points, while Arizona State's reserves finished with just four points.
- TEMPLE: 63
ARIZONA STATE: 45
Mar 19 5:55 PM
- TEMPLE: 31
ARIZONA STATE: 20
Mar 19 4:51 PM
- TEMPLE: 0
ARIZONA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 4:06 PM
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21
- Tennessee-Arizona St. Preview Mar 19
- Arizona State not looking past inconsistent Tennessee Mar 19
- Arizona State opens NCAAs with 74-52 win over NM State Mar 18
- New Mexico St.-Arizona St. Preview Mar 17
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- Fields leads No. 14 UCLA past No. 9 Arizona State Feb 28
- No. 21 South Florida women top Temple 76-62 for 2nd in AAC Feb 27
- Katie Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State past USC 50-45 Feb 27
- No. 9 Arizona State pulls away for 77-57 win over Washington Feb 21
- Brunner, No. 9 Arizona State cruise past Washingtom Feb 19
- 5 overtimes! Memphis women outlast Temple 100-97 Feb 19