Strong defense leads St.John's into the next roundMar 20, 2011 - 1:15 AM Stanford, CA (Sports Network) - Nadirah McKenith scored 14 points and pulled down seven rebounds to lead the St. John's Red Storm to a 55-50 victory over the Texas Tech Lady Raiders in the first round of the Spokane Region of the NCAA Tournament at Maples Pavilion.
Eugeneia McPherson added 10 points for St. John's (22-10), which will battle Stanford in the second round of this event.
Casey Morris registered 10 points for Texas Tech (22-11), while Kierra Mallard finished with nine points and 10 boards.
Texas Tech went into intermission with a slim 30-28 lead after holding St. John's to a lackluster 34.4 percent shooting effort in the first half.
The Red Storm used a stingy defensive approach of their own in the second stanza, as they held Texas Tech to just 33.3 percent shooting, en route to the win.
St.John's was outstanding defensively, as the Red Storm forced 20 turnovers, and held the Lady Raiders to just 33.3 percent shooting in the matchup.
- ST. JOHN'S: 55
TEXAS TECH: 50
Mar 19 6:21 PM
- ST. JOHN'S: 28
TEXAS TECH: 30
Mar 19 5:11 PM
- ST. JOHN'S: 0
TEXAS TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 4:21 PM
- Auburn women win in 1st NCAA since '09, beating St. John's Mar 18
- Auburn-St. John's Preview Mar 17
- St. John's women beat Creighton for trip to NCAA tourney Mar 8
- St. John's women upset No. 18 DePaul 75-66 in Big East semis Mar 7
- No. 4 Baylor women roll past Texas Tech 82-51 Mar 5
- Texas Tech women beat Iowa St. 89-84 in Big 12 tournament Mar 4
- No. 24 Oklahoma women beat Texas Tech 70-60 Mar 1
- No. 8 Texas wins 25th game, 76-55 over Texas Tech Feb 24
- No. 4 Baylor takes over in 2nd half, beats Texas Tech 66-36 Feb 13
- Harry Perretta wins 699th game as Villanova beats St. John's Feb 12
- Martin, No. 25 Oklahoma State women beat Texas Tech 70-57 Feb 7
- January sparks No. 23 DePaul women past St. John's 77-71 Jan 31