Maryland rolls into round twoMar 21, 2011 - 12:02 AM College Park, MD (Sports Network) - Alyssa Thomas tallied 16 points to power the Maryland Terrapins to a 70-48 romp over the St. Francis (PA) Red Flash in first-round action fo the NCAA Tournament.
Diandra Tchatchouang and Anjale Barrett pitched in 11 points apiece for fourth-seeded Maryland (24-7), which advances to the second round to clash with fifth-seded Georgetown.
Nickia Gibbs and Brittany Lilley both registered 10 points in the setback for St. Francis (PA), which ends its season with a 22-12 overall record.
Maryland opened the game with a 13-0 run and led 40-17 at intermission.
The Terps, who were never threatened in the second half, forced 24 turnovers and held St. Francis to 31 percent shooting from the field.
A 49-32 rebounding advantage also contributed to the win.
- ST. FRANCIS (PA.): 48
Mar 20 2:17 PM
- ST. FRANCIS (PA.): 17
Mar 20 1:08 PM
- ST. FRANCIS (PA.): 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 20 12:21 PM
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- No. 6 Maryland beats Minnesota 110-77 to win Big Ten title Feb 28
- Senior Moseley gives No. 6 Maryland women lift off bench Feb 27
- Walker-Kimbrough leads No. 6 Maryland past Wisconsin, 83-77 Feb 25
- No. 6 Maryland women beat Rutgers 73-59 Feb 21