Stanford weathers Red Storm in NCAA TournamentMar 22, 2011 - 5:35 AM Stanford, CA (Sports Network) - Nnemkadi Ogwumike scored a game-high 22 points as the Stanford Cardinal defeated the St. John's Red Storm, 75-49, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Maples Pavilion.
Also scoring in double figures for top-seeded Stanford (31-2) were Kayla Pedersen with 14 points and Chiney Ogwumike 13, the former clearing eight rebounds and handing out five assists, while the latter pulled down a game- high 12 rebounds in order to offset six turnovers.
With the victory the Stanford (31-2) seniors remained perfect at home in their careers, running their win streak to a school-record 63 in a row at Maples Pavilion.
Ninth-seeded St. John's (22-11) was paced by Centhya Hart with 15 points, Da'Shena Stevens 11 and Nadirah McKenith 10 points for the visitors.
The Red Storm remained close in the first half by shooting 50 percent from the floor, but still the squad trailed by eight at the break, 38-30.
In the second half the visitors completely fell apart, converting a total of just eight field goals on 32 chances, en route to the lopsided 26-point setback.
Stanford, which posted a 41-25 edge on the glass, held St. John's to just 1- of-7 shooting from three-point range and 36.7 percent from the field overall.
The Cardinal is into the regional semifinals on Saturday where the squad will face off against North Carolina which defeated Kentucky on Monday night by a score of 86-74.
- ST. JOHN'S: 49
Mar 21 11:31 PM
- ST. JOHN'S: 30
Mar 21 10:22 PM
- ST. JOHN'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 21 9:41 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Auburn women win in 1st NCAA since '09, beating St. John's Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18