Hampton lifts WVU over No. 2 Notre DameFeb 13, 2012 - 12:05 AM South Bend, IN (Sports Network) - Brooke Hampton came up huge for her team with a pair of clutch free throws with 4.6 seconds left in the game, lifting West Virginia to a 65-63 upset over second-ranked Notre Dame on Sunday.
Trailing, 63-61, with less than two minutes to play, Asya Bussie nailed a jumper with less than a minute left in regulation to tie the game at 63.
Following a Notre Dame timeout, Skylar Diggins muffed a layup try and Ayana Dunning came down with the rebound for West Virginia with 17 seconds left.
Diggins fouled Hampton, sending her to the line, and she calmly stroked both shots to put the Mountaineers up 65-63 with five seconds to go.
Natalie Novosel's last second jumper was off the mark, sealing the win for West Virginia.
Bussie led the Mountaineers (18-6, 8-3 Big East) with 22 points and eight rebounds, while Dunning finished with 11 and seven rebounds. Christal Caldwell chipped in with 10 points for West Virginia, which has won four straight.
Diggins netted a game-high 32 points for the Fighting Irish (24-2, 11-1) and Novosel finished with 16. Notre Dame had its 21-game winning streak stopped.
Notre Dame led 33-30 at the end of a tightly played first half.
The Fighting Irish created some distance early in the second half with an 11-5 burst to jump out to a 44-35 advantage.
A pair of free throws by Bussie pulled the Mountaineers within three, 53-50, with just over seven minutes to go, but Natalie Achonwa answered with a bucket to put Notre Dame back up five with six minutes left.
Bussie sank a layup with 1:53 to go to make it 62-61, but Diggins made 1-of-2 free throws at the other end to make it 63-61.
- WEST VIRGINIA: 65
NOTRE DAME: 63
Feb 12 5:41 PM
- WEST VIRGINIA: 30
NOTRE DAME: 33
Feb 12 4:25 PM
- WEST VIRGINIA: 0
NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 12 3:34 PM
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Top-seed Notre Dame beats 16-seed North Carolina A&T 95-61 Mar 19
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19