Stanford coasts past Hampton into the second roundMar 17, 2012 - 8:57 PM Norfolk, VA (Sports Network) - Nnemkadi Ogwumike finished with 28 points and 10 rebounds to power the top-seeded Stanford Cardinals to a 73-51 decision over the 16th-seeded Hampton Pirates in the first round of the 2012 NCAA Women's Tournament at the Constant Convocation Center.
Joslyn Tinkle added 16 points for Stanford (32-1), while Amber Orrange dished out 11 assists. Chiney Ogwumike and Toni Kokenis each chipped in nine points as the Cardinal advanced to the second round, where they will face the No. 8 seed, West Virginia.
Alyssa Bennett paced Hampton (26-5) with 19 points and Nicole Hamilton contributed 10 points off the bench.
Stanford took control of the contest early and built a 42-27 halftime lead by shooting 64 percent from the floor in the opening period. The Pirates connected on just 32.4 percent of their field goal attempts in the first half.
The Cardinal continued to shoot well after the break, as they shot 52 percent from the floor and made 4-of-8 from three-point range to build their lead to as many as 31. Hampton narrowed the margin slightly by not allowing Stanford to make a field goal in the final 4:30.
Stanford held a 44-25 advantage in the rebounding battle.
- HAMPTON: 51
Mar 17 3:35 PM
- HAMPTON: 27
Mar 17 2:30 PM
- HAMPTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 17 1:44 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18