Lady Vols take care of DePaul to advance to Sweet 16Mar 20, 2012 - 4:50 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Shekinna Stricklen tallied 17 and nine rebounds as the second-seeded Tennessee Lady Volunteers defeated the seventh-seeded DePaul Blue Demons 63-48 in the second round of the NCAA Women's Tournament at Allstate Arena.
Vicki Baugh scored 16 points and Meighan Simmons added 13 points for Tennessee (26-8), while Glory Johnson ripped down 21 rebounds.
For DePaul (23-11), Anna Martin netted 20 points and Brittany Hrynko dished out six assists.
Tennessee took a 28-23 lead into halftime despite shooting an lowly 35.7 percent from the floor in the opening stanza. DePaul faired even worse, connecting on 28.6 percent of its field goal attempts in the frame.
Though the Lady Vols continued to struggle from the field after the break at 38.7 percent, they never trailed in the second half.
Tennessee made 15-of-18 of its free-throws, and while the Blue Demons were perfect from the line, they only attempted five foul shots.
The Lady Vols will play the winner of Tuesday's matchup between third-seeded Delaware and 11th-seeded Kansas in the Sweet 16.
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Oregon State women first Elite 8 after 83-71 win over DePaul Mar 26
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- DePaul-Oregon St. Preview Mar 25
- Oregon State women go from shambles to Sweet 16 vs. DePaul Mar 25
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24