Huskies ease past SyracuseJan 19, 2013 - 11:42 PM Hartford, CT (Sports Network) - Stefanie Dolson and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis each tallied 25 points and the No.3 Connecticut Huskies dispatched Syracuse with an 87-62 victory on Saturday.
Dolson added seven rebounds and six assists while Mosqueda-Lewis connected on 6-of-13 shots from beyond the arc to help the Huskies (16-1, 4-1 Big East) to their fourth straight win since a 73-72 setback to Notre Dame on Jan. 5.
Breanna Stewart contributed with 20 points off the bench in the victory.
The Orange (15-2, 3-1) came in winners of eight straight, but struggled from the field on Saturday, shooting just 35.3 percent in addition to committing 18 turnovers.
Carmen Tyson-Thomas tallied a team-leading 12 points off the bench, Brianna Butler followed with 11 and Brittney Sykes and Rachel Coffey each scored 10 in the setback.
To conclude a 7-1 push just past the midway point of the first half, Tyson- Thomas knocked down back-to-back shots to bring the Orange within 24-21. They trailed by just a point following Shakeya Leary's jumper with 5:48, but didn't make a field goal for the rest of the half.
During the opposition's dry spell, the Huskies put together a 13-2 surge to close out the stanza to take a 41-29 lead into the break.
Early in the second half, Dolson scored seven straight for Connecticut, including a three-point play to build a 48-31 advantage.
Syracuse came as close as 69-57 following an 11-1 burst, but the Huskies responded with seven unanswered points to build their edge back up to 19.
They cruised to victory from there, with Stewart scoring 14 of her points in the second half.
- SYRACUSE: 62
Jan 19 5:57 PM
- SYRACUSE: 29
Jan 19 4:53 PM
- SYRACUSE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 19 4:08 PM
- Wagner guard Jasmine Nwajei transferring to Syracuse May 17
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Syracuse defense cracks under UConn onslaught in title game Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Syracuse hoping for big payoff from run to championship game Apr 4