Notre Dame edges UConn for first Big East Tournament titleMar 13, 2013 - 1:34 AM Hartford, CT (Sports Network) - The second-ranked Notre Dame Fighting Irish are Big East Tournament champions for the first time in school history.
Natalie Achonwa's layup with 1.8 seconds remaining lifted Notre Dame over the third-ranked Connecticut Huskies, 61-59.
The Fighting Irish appeared in the Big East title game for the seventh time, having lost to Connecticut in each of their six prior finals appearances.
Kayla McBride had 23 points for Notre Dame (31-1), which got 16 points from Jewell Loyd. Skylar Diggins, who got the assist on the game-winning basket, tallied 12 points, six assists and five steals.
Earlier Tuesday, Notre Dame announced it would be joining the ACC starting next season -- a year earlier than expected.
Stefanie Dolson ended with 18 points and 14 rebounds for the Huskies (29-4), who had captured the previous five tournament titles.
Connecticut scored six straight points late in the contest to tie the game at 59.
However, Diggins stole an errant pass from Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis with time winding down, and after making her way through a few defenders, found Achonwa wide open under the basket for the game-winner.
Kelly Faris' 3-point heave was off the mark and the Irish celebrated their 26th straight victory.
- CONNECTICUT: 59
NOTRE DAME: 61
Mar 12 9:00 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 26
NOTRE DAME: 35
Mar 12 7:52 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 12 7:05 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2