Stewart shines as UConn coasts past MarylandMar 31, 2013 - 3:14 AM Bridgeport, CT (Sports Network) - Freshman forward Breanna Stewart tallied 17 points and eight rebounds as the top-seeded Connecticut Huskies completed a 76-50 rout of the fourth-seeded Maryland Lady Terrapins in the regional semifinals of the 2013 NCAA Women's Tournament as Webster Bank Arena.
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis also had 17 points for UConn (32-4), which will take on Kentucky on April 1 with a trip to the Final Four at stake. Moriah Jefferson chimed in with 10 points and Stefanie Dolson added nine points to go along with a team-high 10 rebounds. The Huskies improved to 44-4 all-time in NCAA Tournament games played in the state of Connecticut.
Alyssa Thomas went 4-of-16 from the floor to net 13 points for the Terps (25-8), who also received 11 points from both Tianna Hawkins and Chloe Pavlech. Alicia DeVaughn just missed a double-double with nine points and 11 boards. Maryland also lost to the Huskies during the regular season, 63-48, on Dec. 3 at the XL Center.
The Terps couldn't get anything going offensively in the opening half as they went 10-of-33 from the field and committed eight turnovers. UConn shot only 38.9 percent from the floor, but it hit 5-of-11 from beyond the arc en route to a 35-26 halftime advantage.
Stewart scored eight of her points after the intermission as the Huskies outscored Maryland, 28-12, in the paint over the final 20 minutes to run off to a comfortable lead. The Terps continued to have trouble offensively as they hut on just 32.1 percent of their field goal tries in the second stanza.
UConn finished with 14 assists to eight turnovers while Maryland had just seven assists and 16 turnovers.
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2