UConn cruises to sixth straight Final FourApr 2, 2013 - 2:28 AM Bridgeport, CT (Sports Network) - Paced by a 21-point effort from Breanna Stewart, the top-seeded Connecticut Huskies are on their way to a record sixth straight Final Four following an 83-53 triumph over the second-seeded Kentucky Wildcats in the Bridgeport Regional Final of the NCAA Tournament at Webster Bank Arena.
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis poured in 17 points for UConn (33-4), which will face either Notre Dame or Duke in the Final Four on April 7 in New Orleans. Kelly Faris scored 12 points, Moriah Jefferson and Bria Hartley netted 10 points apiece, and Stefanie Dolson hauled in 11 rebounds in the winning effort.
The Huskies have now reached the Final Four 14 times in their history.
For Kentucky (30-5), which finishes the season with the most wins in school history, A'dia Mathies logged 14 points and Jennifer O'Neill had 13 points.
Kentucky battled early on, even leading 23-22 midway through the first half, but UConn took control by ripping off a 26-3 run to head into intermission with a 48-26 lead.
The Huskies' advantage never dipped below 19 in the second half.
UConn shot 21-of-23 from the free-throw line, while Kentucky was just 11-of-15 from the stripe.
- KENTUCKY: 53
Apr 1 9:34 PM
- KENTUCKY: 26
Apr 1 8:30 PM
- KENTUCKY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Apr 1 7:42 PM
- Kentucky's Mitchell dispels notion of scandal in open letter May 13
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Jennings becomes seventh player to transfer from Kentucky May 4
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- Kentucky's mass exit: 6 players have left program since fall Apr 27
- Kentucky grants forward Batouly Camara release from program Apr 25
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6