No. 1 Huskies maintain their dominanceJan 8, 2014 - 2:15 AM Storrs, CT (SportsNetwork.com) - Breanna Stewart, the two-time 2013 USA Basketball Female Athlete of the Year, led all players in scoring with 24 points as the top-ranked Connecticut Huskies dominated the Houston Cougars, 90-40, on Tuesday at Gampel Pavilion.
Stewart also accumulated nine rebounds, six blocks, four assists and two steals as the Huskies (16-0,4-0 AAC) maintained their undefeated season. Morgan Tuck added another 19 points and Kiah Stokes racked up 10 points and 10 rebounds in the victory.
The Cougars (4-11, 0-4 ACC) were suffocated by the Huskies' stifling defense, but Marche' Amerson and Alecia Smith were both able to register 11 points in the loss.
Houston was the first on the board with a Yasmeen Thompson layup, but Connecticut swiftly answered back with a Stewart 3-pointer. The Huskies did not slow down from there, as the triple started a 39-3 run thanks to Stewart's 13 points, two assists, two rebounds, three blocks and a steal to put the Huskies up 39-5 with 9:52 left in the first half.
UConn finished the first half with up 52-19 shooting 54.1 percent and dominating the paint, outrebounding Houston, 26-17, and racking up 10 blocks, led by Stefanie Dolson's six stuffs.
The Huskies did not seem to pull back in the second half as they were able to pull away with a game-high 58 point lead at 89-31 with a Saniya Chong layup. UConn finished the game with a season-high 17 blocks and kept the Cougars to 21.4 percent shooting.
- HOUSTON: 40
Jan 7 8:52 PM
- HOUSTON: 19
Jan 7 7:48 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 7 7:11 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2