Arizona State pulls away from New MexicoNov 13, 2006 - 8:06 AM TEMPE, Arizona (Ticker) -- Arizona State passed its first test fairly handily.
Briann January scored 14 points and Emily Westerberg added 12 to lift the No. 12 Sun Devils to a 67-49 victory over No. 20 New Mexico in the Veteran's Day Classic.
Westerberg, who scored 20 points in Friday's season-opening win, had all her points in the second half when the Sun Devils broke the game open.
Arizona State also had a strong defensive effort, limiting Dionne Marsh, last season's leading scorer, to eight points on 1-of-7 shooting.
The Sun Devils (2-0), who led, 32-24, at halftime, made 13 steals and forced 22 turnovers, harassing New Mexico's trio of starting guards into 15 miscues.
Kayli Murphy added 10 points for Arizona State, which shot 44 percent (27-of-61) from the floor while limiting New Mexico to 33 percent (15-of-45).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- New Mexico hires Mike Bradbury to lead women's team Mar 30
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21
- Tennessee-Arizona St. Preview Mar 19
- Arizona State not looking past inconsistent Tennessee Mar 19
- Arizona State opens NCAAs with 74-52 win over NM State Mar 18
- New Mexico St.-Arizona St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 22 Colorado State women advance, 60-42 over New Mexico Mar 10
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- Fields leads No. 14 UCLA past No. 9 Arizona State Feb 28
- Katie Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State past USC 50-45 Feb 27
- No. 25 Colorado State women slip past New Mexico 49-48 Feb 24
- No. 9 Arizona State pulls away for 77-57 win over Washington Feb 21