LSU dominates on defense to cruise in season openerNov 13, 2006 - 2:51 AM BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (Ticker) -- Sylvia Fowles scored 12 points to lead 10th-ranked Louisiana State to an easy 64-25 victory over West Virginia in the season opener for both schools.
Fowles added six rebounds and three blocks for LSU, which owned a 39-24 edge on the glass.
Tigers guard RaShonta LeBlanc scored 11 points, shooting 4-of-4 from the floor and making all three 3-pointers. Katie Antony scored nine points while fellow reserve Allison Hightower grabbed five rebounds for LSU, which shot 48 percent (23-of-48).
While the Tigers struggled at times on offense, they dominated defensively, limiting the Mountaineers to 21 percent (9-of-44) shooting and forcing 24 turnovers.
Chakhia Cole scored six points for West Virginia, which had just 10 points at halftime.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- West Virginia tops Princeton in women's NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Princeton-West Virginia Preview Mar 17
- No. 22 West Virginia women top Kansas St. in Big 12 tourney Mar 5
- No. 13 Kentucky women eliminate LSU from SEC tourney 79-71 Mar 3
- LSU beats Alabama 58-49 in opener of SEC women's tourney Mar 2
- No. 22 West Virginia women cruise past Iowa State 82-57 Mar 1
- Mitchell scores 24 in No. 3 South Carolina's 75-39 victory Feb 28
- West Virginia women whip No. 22 Oklahoma State 82-48 Feb 27
- LSU hands No. 24 Tennessee women 2nd loss in 3 games 57-56 Feb 21